Ashford Clinic Blog
What Does Balloon Sinuplasty Help With?
As it’s a fairly new procedure compared to other medical procedures, you might not be all that familiar with Balloon Sinuplasty. Or it could be that the thought of the word “balloon” and your sinuses just sounds strange or even painful. In reality, Balloon Sinuplasty is an incredibly safe, non-surgical, and effective procedure that brings relief to many patients.
Balloon Sinuplasty is a procedure where a small balloon catheter is guided through your sinus cavities, and then gently inflated. This opens up the passages to your sinuses, allowing them to naturally drain on their own. There are no incisions, and recovery only takes a few days. The effects can last for years, and patients report dramatic improvements within a week of surgery.
So what does Balloon Sinuplasty help with?
- Chronic nasal problems
- Chronic sinus infections or sinusitis
- Difficulty breathing through the nose
- Recurring sinus infections that don’t respond to medication
- Sinus headaches, or headaches around the eyes
Who is a good candidate for Balloon Sinuplasty? Patients who experience any of the following are typically good candidates:
- Chronic sinus symptoms for longer than three months
- Those who have also had previous sinus surgery who still have sinus problems
- Needing ongoing management of recurrent acute sinusitis
- CT scans showing problems with blocked or even inflamed sinuses
Whether or not you are a good candidate for Balloon Sinuplasty is determined by a doctor, and specifically an ENT. If you think that it might help your sinus issues, it’s certainly not a bad idea to ask. At the Ashford Clinic, we’ll go over the procedure with you in-depth, and discuss with you whether or not Balloon Sinuplasty is the right procure for you. Give us a call at 706-248-6860 to learn more.